Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Notes on Introversion

I recently finished a very eye opening book called Introverts in the Church by Adam McHugh. (Yes I love to read books, and no it is not all I do). He put together a list of common attributes of introverts. And all of them fit me for the most part:

  • Prefer to relax alone or with a few close friends
  • Consider only deep relationships as friends (this one maybe less so)
  • Need rest after outside activities, even ones we enjoy
  • Often listen, but talk a lot about topics of importance to us
  • Appear calm, self-contained and like to observe
  • Tend to think before we speak or act
  • May prefer a quiet atmosphere (not always)
  • Experience our minds going blank in groups or under pressure
  • Don't like feeling rushed
  • Have great powers of concentration
  • Dislike small talk (sometimes I'm ok with it)
  • Are territorial- desire private space and time
  • May treat their homes as their sanctuaries
  • Prefer to work on own rather than with a group (not always)
  • May prefer written communication (although I'm not always very excited about journaling)
  • Do not share private thoughts with many people (except I guess on this blog)
Yay for being introverted! What I liked about the book is that it pointed out a lot of gifts introverts bring, especially since it is seen by the culture as a negative attribute. One thing that I really liked that the author said in the chapter called "Introverted Evangelism"had to do with a Catholic missionary to the Masai people. He said:
"I observed that Protestant leaders seem to trust only the sense of hearing, and therefore rely almost totally upon using the preached and taught Word to reach and teach people. By contrast, Celtic Catholics believe that God can use all 5 senses to 'speak' to people."

No comments:

Post a Comment